The National VET Data Policy (2017) governs access to data in the national vocational education and training (VET) administrative collections and surveys, for which NCVER is the data custodian on behalf of the state, territory and Commonwealth governments.
Part C of this Policy addresses the use of VET data and:
- describes the processes for accessing VET Data held by NCVER
- ensures the processes used to access VET Data are transparent and publicly available
- explains how access to VET Data is consistent with the protection of an individual’s privacy (in line with the Privacy Act)
- sets out the requirements for disclosure of USIs by the Student Identifier’s Registrar for the purposes of research.
Further information can be found at: Australian Government, Department of Education and Training website
The policies specific to NCVER relating to privacy, data quality, data access and data resubmission are provided below:
Accessing VET data and data requests
NCVER has a number of data products and services which may meet your data needs. Additionally, we may be able to provide customised data, such as aggregated unpublished data, or statistical services to meet requirements not met by reports and data products published on the Portal.
Further information can be found in VET statistics explained
Or you can contact NCVER about your specific data requests via our Client support team:
Phone: 1800 649 452 or 08 8230 8400
Accessing unit record data
NCVER will, under strict terms and conditions, allow access to files of VET unit records. This includes, but is not limited to, unit record data from the Student Outcomes Survey, the National Apprentice and Trainee Collection and the VET Provider Collection. These files are de-identified (encrypted) prior to being provided and are known as de-identified URFs (unit record files).
To gain access to a de-identified URF, an application is required to be completed. The application form can be downloaded from here.
Registered Training Organisation (RTO) data:
Access to identified RTO data is restricted to the Commonwealth and State and Territory Governments responsible for VET and VET Regulators. However, researchers and organisations may apply to the VET Data Access Committee (VDAC) for such data.
2018 VDAC Meetings:
- 29 May 2018 (submission required by C.O.B 14 May)
- 28 August 2018 (submission required by C.O.B 13 August)
- 27 November 2018 (submission required by C.O.B 12 November)
Unique Student Identifier (USI) data:
NCVER can only disclose USI data to the following recipients, after VDAC approval:
- Government departments dealing with matters related to VET
- other VET related bodies
- an Entity specified by the Student Identifiers Registrar to be a VET related body
- the SI Registrar
- an RTO/former RTO
- a Law Enforcement body.
Requests by researchers and non-government organisations for a USI should be referred to the USI Registrar’s Office (www.usi.gov.au) as NCVER is not authorised to disclose a USI to these entities.
- For all requests, there will be a charge to cover labour for either data extraction or library services. GST will be additional if applicable.
- Other expenses as appropriate will be charged for. For example, a charge would be made if specialised software or hardware needed to be purchased. This would be at cost.
- The rate shall be determined by the complexity of the task and the level of the employee undertaking the analysis.
To discuss your specific requirements, please contact us. Your inquiry will be referred to an NCVER Consultant who will contact you to discuss your needs and provide you with an obligation free quote.