The National VET Data Policy outlines arrangements for disclosing, accessing and using the VET data held by NCVER on behalf of state, territory and Commonwealth governments.
Part C of this Policy addresses the use of VET data and:
- describes the processes for accessing VET Data held by NCVER
- ensures the processes used to access VET Data are transparent and publicly available
- explains how access to VET Data is consistent with the protection of an individual’s privacy (in line with the Privacy Act)
- sets out the requirements for disclosure of USIs by the Student Identifier’s Registrar for the purposes of research.
Further information can be found on the Australian Government, Department of Education, Skills and Employment website.
The policies specific to NCVER relating to privacy, data quality, data access and data resubmission are provided below:
Accessing VET data and data requests
NCVER has a number of data products and services which may meet your data needs. Additionally, we may be able to provide customised data, such as aggregated unpublished data, or statistical services to meet requirements not met by reports and data products published on the Portal.
Further information can be found in VET statistics explained
Or you can contact NCVER about your specific data requests via our Client support team:
Phone: 1800 649 452 or 08 8230 8400
Accessing unit record data
NCVER will, under strict terms and conditions, allow access to files of VET unit records. This includes, but is not limited to, unit record data from the National Student Outcomes Survey, the National Apprentice and Trainee Collection and the National VET Provider Collection. These files are de-identified (encrypted) prior to being provided and are known as de-identified URFs (unit record files).
To gain access to a de-identified URF, download and complete an application form (47 KB Word)
Identifiable data about registered training organisation (RTO) and VET students
Access to identified RTO and VET student data is restricted. Researchers and organisations may apply for access to identified data held by NCVER by making an application to the VET Data Access Committee (VDAC). Please refer to Part C of the National VET Data Policy for further details as well as the factors the committee may consider when reviewing a request for identified data.
To request access to identifiable data, please email NCVER by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org for surveys or administrative data.
VDAC meets four times each year. 2021 meeting dates are:
Tuesday 23 February
Tuesday 25 May
Tuesday 24 August
Tuesday 23 November
- For all requests, there will be a charge to cover labour for data extraction. GST will be additional if applicable.
- Other expenses as appropriate may also be charged. For example, if NCVER had to purpose specialised software or hardware to fulfill a request, this would be included in our fee.
- The rate will be determined by the complexity of the task and the level of the employee undertaking the task.
To discuss your specific requirements, please contact us. Your inquiry will be referred to an NCVER Consultant who will contact you to discuss your needs and provide you with an obligation free quote.