About the National Apprentice and Trainee Collection
This collection provides data on all persons employed under a training contract and includes both apprentices and trainees.
Data are collected from state training authorities on training activity in apprenticeships and traineeships in Australia, including information on training rates and duration of training. Records submitted include information on the following:
- people who have participated in an apprenticeship/traineeship training contract, including their demographics, schooling and prior education and cultural and language attributes
- all training contract transactions – including each commencement, cancellation, withdrawal, completion or expiry associated with the life of the apprenticeship/traineeship training contract
- each employer participating in an apprenticeship/traineeship training contract
- each program undertaken as part of the apprenticeship/traineeship training contract
- each registered training organisation associated with an apprenticeship/traineeship training contract.
Information is collected from the apprenticeship/traineeship training contract completed by the employer and employee. The data are downloaded by each state training authority, which supply additional data and report to NCVER using the AVETMISS validation software. Data are extracted from local systems and submitted on a quarterly cumulative basis. For more information see our VET statistics explained page.
Superseded publications from this collection may be accessed through the VOCEDplus database.